Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Best of TV's Halloween Episodes

We're already more than a week into October and I haven't written a single post on Halloween yet! I'm behind on my holiday festivities (or rather, I'm behind on my blog - my apartment has been decorated since September).

Every year I have a series of Halloween activities I like to complete before the big, spooky day - carve pumpkins, watch Hocus Pocus, eat waaay too much candy. And of course, make my way through the best Halloween related episodes of my favorite TV shows. This year I thought I'd be a bit more organized and make a list of what I consider the 'best of the best'. Here goes . . .

The Best of TV's Halloween Episodes:

1. Bones - "The Mummy in the Maze"
I love this episode of Bones. Watching Booth and the squint team dressing up for their annual Halloween party as they team up to find a missing girl and take on a killer clown (a real challenge in light of Booth's Coulrophobia). It's one of the best.

2. The Office - "Halloween"
I simply love the antagonistic relationship between Jim and Dwight, and nothing shows it off better than a Halloween episode. With Dwight's elaborate 'Sith Lord' costume and Jim's more creative 'Three Hole Punch Jim', hilarity ensues.

3. The Big Bang Theory - "The Middle Earth Paradigm"
What could be funnier than a handful of scientists in their nerdiest costumes amid a sea of inebriated slutty nurses and chest baring ex-boyfriends? Not much, I'd say.

4. Community - "Epidemiology"
I'll admit I was late to the Community game, and frankly didn't have that much interest in the show. That is, until my friend insisted that I watch the Halloween episode in which the study group and their classmates get transformed into zombies. How could I possibly resist Troy and Abed dressed up as Ripley and the Alien? After that, I was hooked.

5. Castle - "Vampire Weekend"
The season 2 Halloween episode was just the right blend of spooky, funny, and touching. But Nathan Fillion's Castle dressed up as a "space cowboy", aka. Mal Reynolds, aka. Captain Tightpants makes my heart grow three sizes in my chest, just like the Grinch. I simply could not love this episode more. Side note: He absolutely gets my vote as they winner of The Best of TV's Halloween Episodes costume contest.



6. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - "Halloween"
There are so many things I just love about this episode. The deliciously evil Spike. Catty Cordelia. The first glimpses of the Willow/Oz relationship. And most especially, Buffy the Butt-Kicking Vampire Slayer transformed into a weak, dimwitted aristocrat. Its one of the greatest Buffy episodes and Joss Whedon at his finest. 

7. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - "Fear Itself"
The show is so great I had to give it a second episode. This Buffy episode takes haunted houses to a whole new creepy level, with a dash of Anya in a "terrifying" bunny costume to lighten things up. A must-not-miss for the Halloween season. 

I've definitely got a lot of TV viewing to do to get ready for Halloween! Not to mention finishing up my costume for the annual Houston Museum of Natural Science - Spirits & Skeletons Party. I just can't wait for All Hallows Eve! Only 22 days to go . . . 

6 comments:

  1. I've not watched Buffy, but I have seen most of those. I wonder what they'll do on The Big Bang Theory this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to say i have not seen these and I love Castle. I love Halloween too and love it when TV gets in on the act

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Buffy Halloween episodes, especially Fear Itself - the demon at the end is too funny. I watched that episode of Castle before I watched Firefly, so I didn't get it, but I totally do now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Halloween episodes of Buffy are most definitely classics! I like to find time to watch them every October, although I don't always manage to...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never watched Buffy but was that Bones episode the one where Brennan dressed up as Wonder Woman at the end? I loved that and of course, Castle as a Browncoat once more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby and I TOTALLY busted up when we saw that Castle episode. Epic. Truly epic.

    ReplyDelete